The Power of Slowing DownOct 06, 2022
I’m excited to share some powerful scientific research from UCLA Psychology Professor Dr. Alan Castel.
Dr. Castel shares:
“The average American checks his or her smartphone once every six-and-a-half minutes, or roughly 150 times each day. This can influence how well we focus and the degree to which we can have meaningful social interactions, especially if we are constantly interrupting ourselves with technology.”
Simply put, this means that so many of us are not able to connect meaningfully with ourselves, with our environment and with each other, because we are in many ways always looking for instant feedback and gratification from our devices.
The biggest psychological problem with this is that it results in us not living in the present moment, and we are then unable to feel and be happy! Because real happiness ONLY takes place when we are aware and conscious in the present moment.
One of the simplest ways to support ourselves in being more present, is to slow down. Yes it IS easier said than done. But it is simple. And the following Step-by-Step Guide will support you in implementing this strategy in a meaningful but easy way.
Today’s step-by-step guide is a profoundly practical one.
You will need:
- Your smart phone
- A lot of courage
- Open your smart phone, and find your notifications settings. This is the place in your phone where you can determine which apps are able to send you a notification.
- Go through each one of these notifications, asking yourself this one question:
“Is knowing about this notification when it happens, important enough to distract me and disconnect me from what I’m doing.”
• “Is knowing that someone just liked my photo on instagram, important enough to distract me from my day?”
- If the notification truly is important enough to warrant the distraction, then enable notification. And if the notification is not important enough, disable the notification.
iPhone User Guide for Notifications – View
Android User Guide for Notifications – View
- Great job! Give yourself a huge pat on the back, and celebrate yourself for having the courage to let go of some notifications that you don’t need.
- Pro Tip 🏆
For the next 7 days or more, write down your awareness at the end of the day about your relationship with your phone.
Challenge yourself to become aware if receiving less notifications has helped you slow down, be more present, and to be happier.
FREE MEMBERSHIP • Get Weekly Support
Sign up below to get Fenix' Weekly Happy Coaching Support via email.
FENIX' INNER CIRCLE • Get Daily Support
Learn more about Fenix' Inner Circle Membership. Daily life-changing support, and 50% of All Profits goes to Dog Rescues.
Sign up for a free month now, then $7/month.
© COPYRIGHT • Lumiere Inc 2022
This Happy Coaching Strategy and Guide is a resource created for Fenix & Friends’ Happy Coaching Membership • © Copyright Lumiere Inc 2022 • Unless otherwise expressly stated, all copyright and other intellectual property rights contained in this website are owned by Lumiere Inc and all rights are hereby reserved. To contact us for permission and licensing email [email protected]
Fenix’ Free Life Coaching
Sign up for my Free Weekly Happy Coaching delivered to your inbox.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.